A college student fell dead into hospital, police said


Police found dead Siya Jordan Wheatstone after an Uber driver dropped her off at a New Orleans hospital on Saturday, February 19, 2022. Wheatstone was a student at the University of New Orleans.

A fragment of the screen from Don Gegenheimer’s Facebook page

Police are investigating the mysterious death of a college student in Louisiana who was reportedly pronounced dead shortly after he was taken to a New Orleans hospital last weekend.

Representatives from the University of New Orleans identified the student as Saya Jordan Wheatstone, Jr., who is studying at the College of Business Administration.

“As a university, there is little more difficult than dealing with the grief of a student’s death,” UN President John Nicklow said in a statement. “Our thoughts with Ciaya’s family and friends. We offer counseling services to students and staff who need support. ”

The New Orleans Police Department did not immediately respond to McClatchy News’ request for comment on Feb. 21. But police told WDSU that Seventh District officers were called to a local hospital at 6:54 a.m. after the woman was taken away by “private vehicle”.

According to WDSU, ambulance specialists pronounced the woman dead after her arrival.

The investigation is ongoing, according to WVUE, and police has not yet been classified by her death. The Orleans Parish Coroner’s Office said the cause of death was still being investigated.

Don Gegenheimer, who called herself a colleague of Wheatstone in a Facebook post on February 19, said the 21-year-old girl took uber about 1 night to the east of New Orleans, which is in the seventh district of the police department. She said the Uber driver later dropped Wetston off to hospital without answering.

An Uber spokesman confirmed in a February 21 McClatchy News statement that he removed that driver’s access to the app while the incident is being investigated.

“Our thoughts are with Saya Wetston’s family as they mourn the loss of their daughter,” the company said. “We are ready to assist law enforcement in their investigation.”

Friends and family shared the tribute on Facebook after news of Wheatstone’s death.

Gegenheimer said Wetston came from South Carolina to get an education, and “had the cutest East Coast accent you’ve ever heard.”

“She had the sweetest face; always saw in everyone the best and brightest side of every situation, ”Guggenheimer said.

Another friend told her “the heart is torn to pieces».

“The Lord knows I will miss all our calls and laughter and our trips to Edisto Beach,” Mali Jordan said in a Facebook post on February 20. “Heaven has acquired one beautiful Sweet Angel! You will always have a special place in my heart Ciaya Whetstone! Don’t worry, girl. “

Beria’s Advent Adventist Church in Smokes, South Carolina, said it was Wheatstone a member of a youth group.

“We are very saddened by the death of a member of our youthful family, Sayai (Jordan) Wetston,” the church said in a statement. “Our prayers go to her mother and family, as well as to all the members of the youth group who loved her.”

Elizabeth Nicole Saitz, who called Wetston her “beautiful sister” said she “lit up every room” and had “such a big impact on the lives of many people”.

“We may not have been blood, but as you said, no matter what, we are sisters for life,” Zaitz said on Facebook. “My heart is so broken and I would like to hug your neck a million times more. Hope you know I will love you forever, girl. Give heaven heaven.

Anyone with information regarding the investigation into Wheatstone’s death is asked to call the New Orleans Police Department Homicide Division at 504-658-5300. Tipping can also be left anonymously at Crimestoppers of Greater New Orleans by calling 504-822-1111.

This story was originally published February 21, 2022 14:14.

Hailey Fowler is a reporter for The Charlotte Observer, which covers the latest news in North and South Carolina in real time. She earned a bachelor’s degree in journalism from the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, and previously worked as a legal reporter in New York City before joining the Observer in 2019.

Source link