A cooking accident led to a house fire in the Northtown area

Copyright 4 News Now

SPOKANE, Wash. – The Spokane Fire Department says cooking was the cause of a fire that broke out at a home in the Northtown area last Thursday.

SFD responded to reports of a house fire in the 4800 block of North Adams Street (at North Adams Street off West Wabash Avenue and Wellesley Avenue) just after 3:30 pm on January 12th. The Northern Battalion Chief arrived on scene and saw smoke coming from the back and side of the house.

As other firefighters arrived on scene, SFD says they entered the home with hand lines and controlled the working fire in the kitchen.

SFD searched the home and found no one, including pets. The house was ventilated through fans and natural openings.

No one was injured in the fire.

SFD would like to remind you of these safety tips when you are cooking in the kitchen:

  • Always keep the lid close when using the stove
  • If a small grease fire starts, wearing a glove, use the lid to smother the flame by sliding it over the pot or pan and turning off the burner
  • Leave the pan in place and wait for it to cool before removing the lid
  • Never use water to burn fat
  • If there is a fire in the oven, turn off the oven temperature and keep the door closed until the flames are out
  • Before the next use of the oven, have it checked by a qualified technician
  • If in doubt about a kitchen fire, get out. When you leave, close the door to contain the fire
  • If you’re out and about, call 9-1-1 from your cell phone or a trusted neighbor’s phone

READ: A cat died in a house fire near Hangman Creek

Source link