A woman who twice went out and returned to her burning apartment died from inhaling smoke in her apartment, Indiana Fire Department said.
Firefighters reacted to the fire at a residential building in Indianapolis around 5 a.m. Sunday, May 29, the Indianapolis Fire Department said in a statement.
The woman was found in her apartment on the fourth floor, filled with smoke, the report said.
Witnesses later told firefighters that the woman fled and then returned to her apartment twice, the report said. After the second time she was drenched in smoke.
Most related to fires death caused when inhaling smoke, according to the National Fire Association. Smoke is made up of deadly particles, vapors and toxic gases that can disable a person in minutes.
“The Indianapolis Fire Department would like to remind everyone that if a fire breaks out in your home, apartment or building, please do not attempt to re-enter to collect personal belongings or pets,” the Indianapolis Fire Department said in a statement. “Come out and stay. The toxic effects of smoke can lead to loss of consciousness in minutes and can be fatal – as evidenced by today’s unfortunate death. «