Garfield beat Lake Washington for the 3A girls’ championship


The Garfield players took the Class 3A state championship trophy after defeating Lake Washington, 39-38, on Saturday, March 5, 2022, at the Tacoma Dome, in Tacoma, Washington.

Marvin Hall doesn’t want to think about it. But remember the composition of this Garfield women’s basketball team and it brings a smile to his face.

The whole thing is in the youth movement that pushed the Bulldogs to the second consecutive state championship in Class 3A on Saturday night with a 39-38 victory over Lake Washington at Tacoma Doom. This is enough to make others think about how great the mileage can be.

“I just don’t think it’s that far,” said Hall, Garfield’s coach. “But, dude, I don’t think that far, but it excites me when you say that.”

The Bulldogs (21-0) lose to only one senior of this championship team, Lucille Richardson. Against “Kangaroo” she played a total of nine minutes (22-5).

This means that the vast majority of participants in this title returned again next season in the person of juniors Malia Samuels and Imby Jones, as well as sophomore Katie Fisa and others.

The three saved Garfield against Lake Washington, each of whom scored on a basket during the final series with a score of 6: 0 in the last 2:45 of the fourth quarter. The return became necessary only after the “Kangaroos” turned to the beginning of the fourth.

It was then that Lake Washington coach Jeff Wilson laid on the floor his 6-foot-4 defensive force Elise Honey. Most of the game Hani got into trouble: she got three in the first quarter and the fourth – in the first two minutes of the second half.

Without Honey on the floor, Lake Washington struggled to get any offensive flow, and it opened the middle for Garfield. However, although the Bulldogs could control things, they never strayed completely.

“The unpleasant challenges are tough,” Wilson said. “Sometimes games go that way. But the other girls fought, fought, and we survived until we could get Rosa (Smith) and Elise back. ”

Smith also recorded three quick fouls, leaving two of the top three leaders for most of the game on the bench instead of on the floor. When they returned, things changed.

Lake Washington went 11-0 in the first five minutes of the last quarter, turning a 33-27 deficit into a 38-33 lead. But with 2:45 left, Fiso drove off and approached Hani.

Samuels moved into the next possession of Garfield, ruling out of reach of Honey, who rolled over the rim and in, and it was again a one-point game, 38-37, and 2:06 left.

This set up Jones, who with a score of 1:10 to the end took a pass on the line of free throws and went straight to Hani, who had to decide whether to risk a fifth foul or play safer.

“At the beginning of the game, I went in there and it didn’t work out the way I wanted it to,” Jones said. “I just knew the clock was running late, we were down, and I just needed to take a bucket. I took it off the glass and he came in. I knew it (she had four fouls). But she just stayed and I got a reprieve. ”

Two trips away, when the clock was running 15 seconds before the game, Lake Washington picked up the ball near the main line. Under strong defensive pressure all the way Kangi got the ball to one of his shooters – Ray Butler Wu – from the left.

But Wu’s attempt, which went out of balance by a 3-point, went sharply from the back edge and bounced back when a beep sounded during Garfield’s second title in a row.

“It means a lot to me because my dad died (from Covid-19) a year ago at that time,” Hall said. “It was a difficult time for me, so I dedicated it to him. I was very emotional about it. “

Source link