The victim of the shooting in the Brooklyn subway is suing the gun manufacturer Glock

NEW YORK (AP) – A woman injured last month in a mass shooting in the New York subway filed a lawsuit Tuesday against the manufacturer of a handgun allegedly used in the attack and his parent company, accusing the firearm maker of “Reckless contempt for man.” life ”.

Authorities say a 9mm semi-automatic Glock pistol was used in the attack.

In her lawsuit, filed in federal court in Brooklyn, Elin Ster said the Glock “endangered the health and safety of the public” by marketing, distributing and selling its weapons.

An email requesting comment was sent to Glock.

Ster was one of 10 people shot dead on April 12 when a gunman fired dozens of bullets at a train full of morning passengers. The man accused of the attack, Frank James, pleaded not guilty to terrorism and other articles.

In the lawsuit, Glock is accused of “marketing that emphasizes the characteristics of firearms, such as their high power and ease of concealment, which attract potential buyers with criminal intent.”

The lawsuit was filed at a time when the nation experienced the massacre of 19 children and two teachers at an elementary school in Uwald, Texas last week.

In February, the families of nine victims of a shooting at Sandy Hook Elementary School in 2012 reached a $ 73 million agreement in a lawsuit against Remington, the maker of the rifle used in the attack.

Families said the company should never have sold such dangerous weapons to the public. They said they are focused on preventing future mass shootings by forcing gun companies to be more responsible with their products and the way they sell it.

Human rights groups said the settlement is unlikely to affect the sale of rifles and weapons manufacturers, which in most cases are still shielded from liability under federal law. But some experts said it could push insurance companies to put pressure on gun manufacturers to make some changes.

Source link