Two more students claim that New York University campus attacks were mishandled – Washington Square News

Following reports of attacks on four students on campus in February, two more victims came forward to describe the recent attacks, which they believe were wrong by Campus Safety.

Ryan Walker

After attacking four students this month on campus, two more students said they were attacked. One was punched between Blicker Street and Bond Street; the second was hit on the back near West Fourth Street Starbucks. (Photo by Ryan Walker)

At least two other New York University students said they were victims of recent attacks on campus after Campus Safety confirmed in an email on Feb. 17 that four students had been attacked. Two students said the department was mishandling a series of attacks.

Campus Safety did not email the university community about the attacks until a day after senior SPS AJ Sun posted on Instagram that Campus Safety did not take his report seriously. Four victims mentioned in the email, including San, were killed on February 7, February 13 and February 14. Each of them described the criminal as a man with blond hair and a light complexion.

[Read more: Assaulted student says he was dismissed by NYU Campus Safety]

On February 2, at 12:20 a.m., at 12:20 a.m., one of the unreported victims, the younger Tisha, who was asked to remain anonymous, was punched by a man between Blicker and Bond Street. After the incident, the students were diagnosed with a concussion. The Health Center also reported an attack on the Security Campus.

The student said the officer recorded the attack on a piece of paper and instructed them not to report to the New York Police Department – instead to report the situation to Campus Safety. Seeing the Campus Safety e-mail, they concluded that the department had not filed a complaint with the police and had to report the incident on its own. The attack was not added to the public Campus Safety Journal as of February 24 – more than three weeks after its holding.

“It scares me because there are probably a lot more crimes that the university never tells us about,” Tish Jr. wrote in an email to WSN. “Campus Safety can just choose what they want to share with us. It made me humiliate my position. I felt that I had obviously overdosed on everything and continued myself in class, which worsened my concussion. “

The second student, a CAS senior, was walking around Feb. 14 at about 5pm on Feb. 14 at about 5pm near Starbucks in Washington Square E. and Fourth Street in Washington Square when a man hit him in the back. The description of the perpetrator he gave differed from the description of the other victims. He said he did not report the attack to Campus Safety because he believed the department would not continue.

“This was the first time I had been physically assaulted by another person after moving to New York University,” he wrote in an email to WSN. “Combined with the news that a Korean American woman was killed in Chinatown last Sunday, I honestly felt the presence of Asian hatred for the first time.”

He does not believe that Campus Safety will make any immediate changes to prevent further attacks, but asks that there be more officers on campus.

In an email on Feb. 17, Campus Security Chief Fountain Walker said Campus Safety could not determine whether the attacks were committed by the same person or were motivated by race, but acknowledged that two of the four victims were Asians.

The victim of one of the incidents mentioned in the email, sophomore Galatina, was walking alone at 9pm on Feb. 13 on the sidewalk between Washington Place and Green Street, and was hit in the back by an attacker she called a white man with blond hair. She said the man fled when she turned around.

“It was tense enough to report the incident for the first time, and really reluctant to learn that it would not have been known, much less recognized, if [Sun] drew attention to his experience on social networks, “- wrote a sophomore Galatina WSN. «No one can expect NYU to guard all the sidewalks of such a decentralized campus, but the most derogatory part of the event was that three separate incidents of violence right near school buildings did not meet the requirements that require prior notice. ”

That night, she reported the incident to a campus security officer. Seeing messages on San’s social media a few days after the attack, she contacted him and he linked her to a department representative. She then learned that the officer had never submitted an initial report – she said Campus Safety had no records of her report. The next day, a representative escorted her and Sun to the police station.

Campus Safety did not respond to a request for comment made after initial reports.

Contact Lauren Ash at [email protected]

Source link