OMAHA, HEAVEN (AP) – After one of the most dominant races in Southeast Conference history, Tennessee was selected as overall No. 1 at the NCAA Baseball Tournament on Monday.
The Volunteers (53-7) have won 31 of the first 32 games, won SEC titles in regular seasons and tournaments and have the best filing and batting statistics in the country.
Since March 28, they have been the consensus team № 1 in polls other than one week, and have gone to regional competitions, winning eight straight in a row and 12 out of 13.
The tournament with 64 teams opens on Friday in 16 regional competitions. The winners advance to the top eight of the three superregional competitions. These winners move on to the World Series of Colleges in Omaha.
The top eight national seeders are guaranteed to host superregional competitions if they win regional competitions.
National Sowing After Tennessee: Stanford (41-14), Oregon (44-15), Virginia Tech (41-12), Texas A&M (37-18), Miami (39-18), Oklahoma (39-20) . ) and East Carolina (42-18).
Stanford, who has won regular season titles and Pac-12 tournaments, is a national seed for the first time since he was №2 in 2018. Oregon for the first time gives the Pac-12 two of the top three.
Virginia Tech, which was selected penultimate in the Coastal Division of the Atlantic Coast Conference, has the highest seed in program history and will be playing in the regional tournament for the first time since 2013.
Texas A&M has won the last seven SEC series under first-time coach Jim Schlossnagl to block the national seed after failing to take on the tournament last year.
East Carolina will play in the tournament for the 32nd time. The Pirates are notable for having the highest number of performances without reaching the CWS.
Seeds 9-16: Texas (42-19), North Carolina (38-19), Southern Mississippi (43-16), Louisville (38-18-1), Florida (39-22), Auburn (37-19) ), Maryland (45-12) and South Georgia (40-18).
The ACC and SEC selected the largest number of teams, nine each. The Big 12 and Pac-12 have five teams each, and the Sun Belt Conference has four teams.
Tennessee opens the regional game against Alabama (34-23). Other teams playing in Knoxville are Campbell (40-17) and Georgia Tech (34-22).
The last four teams were Florida, Grand Canyon, Liberty and Mississippi. The top four came from North Carolina, Old Dominion, Rutgers and Woffford.
Qualifying Chairman and Army Athletic Director Mike Buddy said Ole Miss received the NC State Award because she performed a little stronger in a series of regular season conferences.
NC and Ole Miss have won four of 10 series of conferences, but only one of the Wolf Stage has been against a team in the NCAA (Georgia Tech), while Rebels have won a series of victories over LSU and Auburn.
“It was tough,” Buddy said. “When it comes to the last three or four teams, you need to really split your hair. Baseball is a serial game. We didn’t look at the scenarios of one game, unless it was the only point of data. “
Other notes about the tournament:
– Florida has the longest streak in a row with 44 games in a row. Other notable series in a row are Vanderbilt (16) and Florida (14).
– Koppin State (24-28) and Hofstra (30-21) hold the first matches. The Air Force (30-27) is making the first since 1969.
– The two-day meeting between Texas A&M and TCU at College Station could be the best regional storyline. Schlossnagle left TCU to work at Aggies after last season. TCU coach Kirk Saarlus, who has been an assistant at Schlossnagle for 10 years.
– Michigan (32-26) was one of the biggest bettors, winning the Big Ten automatic place, winning the conference tournament as the fifth seed and depriving Rutgers of a place.
– Coppin State is among the top three teams with lost records. The rest are Binghamton (22-28) and New Mexico (24-32).
Other AP College Sports Games: https://apnews.com/hub/college-sports and https://twitter.com/AP_Top25